incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: JavaHL package namespace / migration / compatability
Date Tue, 17 Nov 2009 16:06:49 GMT
On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 2:57 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> There is a more practical reason for this. If I have a need to debug a package or get
further documentation, the package name gives me a pointer as to where to look. If tigris.org
disappeared users would get very confused.

> IMO, whether the package names are changed in 1.7 or in some future release is up to
the project to decide. But they should change sooner or later.

> You asked for our input and this is it.

It's noted, but, as others have mentioned, binary/source compatibility
is a very strong concern for Subversion.

Since subversion.tigris.org is still going to be up (at least as a
pointer, if not in some stronger form), I think we're fine for folks
who want documentation or references well after Subversion is an
official ASF project.

As Hyrum suggests, we can use org.apache.subversion.* if we want to
create a new (better) Java interface within our versioning rules - but
that isn't necessary nor should it be a pre-req for graduation.

Thanks.  -- justin