incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL][VOTE] Subversion
Date Tue, 10 Nov 2009 22:29:43 GMT

On Nov 10, 2009, at 8:29 AM, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 3:59 PM, C. Michael Pilato <
> > wrote:
>> Subversion client and server that doesn't use a DAV layer at all.
>> The
>> Subversion community has never released binaries -- ever -- not do
>> we plan
>> to.
> That would a completely new philosophy for an Apache project, which
> always aimed
> very heavily on distributions. It might either enforce to look at
> legal aspects in a
> different view - or lead to changing your philosophy. :-) Personally,
> I don't see any
> reason why things like creation of Windows binaries should be left to
> outsiders. (Apart
> from CollabNets business interests, which I wouldn't like to count.)

Apache's distributions are source distributions as a requirement.

Binary distributions are just a convenience for users. If subversion
doesn't see any benefit for the project or for users to release
binaries, it is not a requirement. Especially as third parties are
providing binaries. Just the licensing/trademark issue of what the
third parties call their releases. Which question is best left to our
licensing/trademark team.

> Jochen
> To unsubscribe, e-mail:
> For additional commands, e-mail: