incubator-general mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@xbc.nu>
Subject Re: [VOTE] release Apache VCL 2.1
Date Mon, 23 Nov 2009 17:17:24 GMT
sebb wrote:
> Not relevant - the discussion is about what archives are supported by
> the OS, not the development process.

I thought it was about which archive formats an ASF release should be
distributed in. All I ever recall reading in policy documents are
requirements about the /contents/ of the release. For all I care it can
be .shar.Z, if the project team feels that is what serves their users best.

> Even Apache httpd (which is written in C) releases Windows archives in
> Zip (and MSI) format.

Yup, so does APR, so does Subversion (but careful, the MSIs are not
considered part of the official release in any of these projects). It
just happens that (we) the developers decided that was best.

-- Brane