incubator-general mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@xbc.nu>
Subject Re: JavaHL package namespace / migration / compatability
Date Tue, 17 Nov 2009 09:11:53 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:
> In general, Java code at Apache should reside under a package of org.apache. In this
case, I would expect org.apache.subversion.javahl.  Of course, this will create compatibility
problems. I don't know if it is completely possible to create a separate jar containing the
necessary glue code to map the org.tigris classes to org.apache - or if is even worth the
effort.

I don't quite understand the point of this. Here we are with a Java
wrapper library for the Subversion APIs. The versioning rules that apply
to it are the same as for the rest of Subversion -- in other words, we
*must* keep the same package names in the JavaHL public API. Is there a
specific reason for doing a bunch of extra work that does not add any
value to JavaHL but only adds a layer of indirection for /all/ users of
the library?

This suggestion is equivalent to requiring that all C APIs that come
from this community be prefixed with ap_ ... so "it's completely
possible to create a separate set of headers with the necessary glue
that map svn_ to ap_svn_."

Sorry about being a bit sarcastic there.

-- Brane