incubator-general mailing list archives

From Garrett Rooney <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL][VOTE] Subversion
Date Thu, 05 Nov 2009 15:20:25 GMT
On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 10:01 AM, Jochen Wiedmann
<jochen.wiedmann@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 9:12 PM, Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  We have a number of *user-configurable* dependencies which are not
>> compatible with the AL:
>
> Question for the legal experts: What will be the impact of these
> dependencies? In particular: Will the project be able to publish
> releases anyways while in incubation and while resolving these
> dependencies?

To the best of my knowledge there's no reason for the project to
"resolve" anything in these cases.  Subversion doesn't actually
distribute any of these dependencies, it just uses them if they
already exist on the user's system.  They're all completely optional.
It's similar to the case of other existing ASF projects that have
optional dependencies on LGPL or GPL products (see the APR gdbm
dependency, for example).

(Speaking as a currently inactive member of both the Subversion
project and the ASF legal committee.)

-garrett