incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: JavaHL package namespace / migration / compatability
Date Tue, 17 Nov 2009 14:57:25 GMT

On Nov 17, 2009, at 1:25 AM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> Java coding standard(s) makes very strong assertions that package
> names should be 'owned' domain names, to ensure avoidance of name
> collisions. Apache has maintained such for practically all projects,
> incl all incoming projects, and I am somewhat confident that some of
> these projects have more dependent developers than Subversion.
> The indirection overhead would be "optional". Do a
> "s/org.tigris/org.apache/g" replace and you are good to go without the
> overhead.

There is a more practical reason for this. If I have a need to debug a package or get further
documentation, the package name gives me a pointer as to where to look. If tigris.org disappeared
users would get very confused.

IMO, whether the package names are changed in 1.7 or in some future release is up to the project
to decide. But they should change sooner or later.

You asked for our input and this is it.

Ralph