incubator-general mailing list archives

From Alexei Fedotov <>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache OpenMeetings incubator for Web Conferencing
Date Sat, 31 Oct 2009 16:37:29 GMT
Niclas, thanks for an answer about LGPL!

Thanks for a link to BlueSky! Openmeetings is used into Moodle and
Dokeos e-learning systems - communication always helps education. The
main difference with BlueSky is that BlueSky has a standalone client,
and not the browser-based one.

I see two long-term possibilities for synergy.

1. BlueSky can integrate browser pannel in their client to handle a
whiteboard. In this case the code for whiteboard can be re-used in
both projects.

2. They promise to get rid from mplayer and ffmpeg dependencies. If
they get a working streaming video-client under APL, this would help
us to remove the most imporant dependency from Flash.

As for quick benefits, we get more people on Apache who share the same
task. For example, usability really matters in end-user applications,
and establishing usability standard for our applications would help us