incubator-general mailing list archives

From Guillaume Nodet <gno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Aries incubator for Enterprise OSGi
Date Tue, 01 Sep 2009 14:50:52 GMT
Karaf is a runtime, which means it includes the OSGi framework and you can
install it and start it, providing a number of additional features compared
to a plain OSGi framework.
The goal of Aries is not to provide such a runtime, but rather provide
components that can be installed into different runtimes, such as Karaf (or
even on a plain OSGi framework).
As for OBR, it's a bundle repository format and resolver.  Such a repository
resolver can be leveraged by the item named "isolated enterprise
applications composed of multiple, versioned
bundles with dynamic lifecycle", but is out of scope for Aries itself.