incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept Aries proposal for incubation
Date Tue, 22 Sep 2009 05:22:55 GMT

On Sep 21, 2009, at 9:09 PM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 2:36 AM, Jeremy Hughes <hughesj@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>>> If it IS a goal to become a large component registry for "anything
>>> OSGI enterprisey" then my -1 vote will stand.
>>
>> Really it isn't. I mentioned earlier in this thread that Aries will
>> seek to use components from other projects where they exist.
>
> I rest my case. Your argument is that the text is sufficient, I mean
> it is not (too inclusive).
> Let's adjourn this for the graduation. I am urging that the community
> along the way think long and hard on the formulation of project
> mission.

My 2 cents.

Let a thousand flowers bloom.

IMO, mission statements are silly in that they are mere descriptions
to attract contributors.  An elevator speech if you will; though
Aries' mission statement is irritatingly long winded as one of Bill
Clinton's speeches.  IMO, anyone trying to enforce a stricter usage of
mission statements is protecting turf.

I don't care if there is or isn't overlap w/ existing projects so long
as there is a vibrant community behind it.  Huge projects are not a
problem until they try to protect their "turf".  But turf protection
is a potential problem of all projects; frankly some of the objections
of other projects' members smacks of turf protection.  Contributors
are free to place their contributions where ever they wish.

I trust the ASF membership to invariably provide an environment for
free and unencumbered choices.

Regards,
Alan