incubator-general mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Aries incubator for Enterprise OSGi
Date Fri, 04 Sep 2009 05:23:57 GMT

On Sep 3, 2009, at 1:33 PM, Richard S. Hall wrote:

> There was no attempt to contact the Felix PMC in general that I am
> aware and I certainly didn't know about it in advance.
>
> And there seems to be a continued attempt to construe my original
> criticisms as "all of Aries should go into Felix".

Apologies, if I've been guilty of this.

> I, personally, do not believe that all of Aries should go into
> Felix, I too think it should have its own identity. I was always
> only ever referring to the independent OSGi spec implementations. I
> was arguing that Felix is a good place to work on them, since it is
> part of what it is trying to achieve.

So, let's assume that one or more OSGi spec implementations are a core
part of Aries -- with specific features/customization for Aries.
Personally, it seems reasonable that an Aries project would want these
customized spec implementations close at hand -- within their project.
What would be the benefit for the Aries community of developing these
spec implementations at Felix? Perhaps you can help me understand...
Likewise, I'm not sure I understand how these implementations would
harm Felix.

> Further, I don't really understand the implication that somehow the
> burden is now on the Felix community to go and contribute to Aries
> on OSGi spec implementations just because of this proposal, when
> there was no attempt to work with the Felix community on creating
> OSGi spec implementations in the first.

I think the intent was to look for opportunities to bridge a gap. If
this doesn't help, I'm willing to try and work on alternatives...

> The only conclusions I see being drawn by people who have invested
> very little in Felix is that we should dismantle the Felix charter
> so that we can accommodate the fact that some people don't want to
> play with us.

I don't know why anybody would want to "dismantle the Felix charter".
I'm not sure why Aries would impact that one way or another...

--kevan