incubator-general mailing list archives

From Luciano Resende <>
Subject Re: Help reviewing PhotArk podling release
Date Wed, 02 Sep 2009 16:44:57 GMT
On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 2:52 AM, sebb<> wrote:
> On 02/09/2009, Luciano Resende <> wrote:
>> I did a cross-check to make sure only the used dependencies were
>>  mentioned in the LICENSE and got the notices sniptes from these
>>  required dependencies. Do you see a specific piece that should be
>> removed ?
> The point is that dependencies that are used, but not actually
> included, should not be mentioned in the NOTICE file as they do not
> form part of the artifact.
> As it stands, the NOTICE file is confusing/misleading, and IMO should be fixed.
> I've not checked the NOTICE file entries in detail, but a quick check
> failed to find the Axion (not Axiom) jar anywhere. Likewise Howl,
> JDOM, DOM4j. Perhaps these are included in other libraries.

The photark-webapp.war:/WEB-INF/lib contains the following axiom jars
that are used by some Tuscany databindings used in photArk.

JDOM and DOM4j and Howl were mentioned in the Tuscany notices, but it
seems we are not using the actual dependencies.
I'm not sure if this is really a blocker for the release, but I'll be
fixing it on the trunk to make sure we don't have this issue in teh

> The LICENSE file lists addressing-1.3.mar but there appears to be no such file.
> The following files in LICENSE don't agree with the contents of the
> lib directory in the war:
> cglib-nodep-2.1_3.jar
> geronimo-commonj_1.1_spec-1.0.jar

The photark-webapp.war:/WEB-INF/lib contains the following cglib jar
(note that there is a version mismatch only in this case)

>>  > There are no NOTICE and LICENSE files in the META-INF directory in the
>>  > war file; ideally these should be present - in this case they will be
>>  > the same as the ones in the binary archive.
>>  >
>>  > There's some inconsistency between the NOTICE files.
>>  >
>>  > The top-level NOTICE file in the binary archive says:
>>  >
>>  > Copyright (c) 2008 - 2009
>>  >
>>  > whereas the NOTICE file in the photoark-assets-M1-incubating.jar
>>  > META-INF directory says:
>>  >
>>  > Copyright (c) 2005 - 2008 The Apache Software Foundation
>>  >
>>  > The parent pom says the inception year is 2008, so the latter file looks wrong.
>>  > Seems to be an error in the NOTICE skeleton files.
>>  >

Fixed in trunk in the assets jar.

>> These does not seem as release blockers to me. Do you agree ?

These are all fixed in both release branch (svn #810595) and trunk
(svn #810601). Do you really think we need another respin or having
these fixed in SVN are enough to get a positive vote from you ?

Luciano Resende

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message