incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Aries incubator for Enterprise OSGi
Date Fri, 04 Sep 2009 22:04:40 GMT

On 9/4/09 16:49, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> Richard,
>
> I see your viewpoint better now. Thanks.
>
> One more question, Will there be a problem of folks on dev@felix not
> being able or willing to participate in a new podling? (If the folks
> presenting this proposal do wish to start off as a podling)

Dims, since I don't speak for all Felix community members, I can't
really answer that question. I imagine that interested parties would
contribute, but certainly a benefit of at least doing any independent
OSGi spec impls at Felix is you will automatically get the oversight of
people who have been doing it for years, if not their contribution. The
separation could possibly make life simpler too for those willing to
help, since:

   1. People interested only in the OSGi spec impls do not necessarily
      have to be involved on Aries mailing lists that will likely
      incorporate a lot of discussion about the Aries component model
      and related content.
   2. Finished impls could quickly be released as non-incubator artifacts.

-> richard

> thanks,
> dims
>
> On 09/04/2009 04:31 PM, Richard S. Hall wrote:
>> On 9/4/09 16:10, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
>>> Richard,

>>> Will the people mentioned not participate if Aries is a separate
>>> podling to start with? After all destination PMC can be determined
>>> during graduation process. Also the incubation process is to show new
>>> incoming team how Apache works etc..is that better done as a podling
>>> or as a felix sub project? If we continue the same thought process,
>>> will there every be any incubator podling with for any OSGi related
>>> activity?
>>
>> Yes, and I mentioned this, but that seems to get lost somehow.

>>> Choices are
>>>
>>> 1) Podling -> TLP
>>> 2) Podling -> Felix Sub project
>>> 3) Podling -> Felix Sub project -> TLP
>>> 4) Felix Sub project