incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Aries incubator for Enterprise OSGi
Date Fri, 04 Sep 2009 19:49:42 GMT
On 9/4/09 9:05, Daniel Kulp wrote:
> As a point of note, not all OSGi spec implementations live in Felix even at
> Apache today.   The Remote Services/Distributed OSGi reference implementation
> is a sub project of CXF.     I think Tuscany has an implementation as well.
>
> So far, there hasn't been any discussion about moving those into Felix.  Your
> argument below makes it sound like they should be.

Actually, I had conversations with the CXF/DOSGi team at IONA during its
development. We discussed the technological approach as well as the
potential home. My position was/is:

   1. If it is tied to CXF and it not generally useful without it, then
      it is reasonable for it to be hosted at CXF.
   2. If it is completely general and of interest to a general user, not
      just a CXF user, then it is reasonable for it to be hosted at Felix.

Since they felt it was fairly specific to CXF, that's where it ended up.

So, no, I am not saying "everything should", but in general, it would be
nice if the spec impls started there since we have a community of OSGi
users and OSGi experts who are very active and receptive, many of whom
also work in the EE space.

In short, it makes sense for spec impls tied to the Aries component
model (for example), to be hosted there, but there is little need to
create another project to incubate generic OSGi spec impls, since the
Felix community was set up for that. The reality is, most OSGi specs are
not huge projects so we likely wouldn't want TLPs for all of them, but
nothing stops a subproject started at Felix from going TLP if it takes
on a life of its own.

-> richard