incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Aries incubator for Enterprise OSGi
Date Thu, 03 Sep 2009 18:49:10 GMT
On 9/3/09 14:37, Ian Robinson wrote:
> The discussion on this part of the proposal reflects the origins of it
> - people with an interest in AppServers and integration runtimes that
> are looking to the new EEG specs to provide additional capability in
> their world so that existing applications can begin to take advantage
> of OSGi with minimum barrier to entry. There will be tensions in
> implementing the specs to work in a way that reflects how these apps
> are built today vs how we'd start afresh given that opportunity. When
> the question "why do we need to accomodate the baggage of XYZ in the
> servlet/JNDI/JTA/JMX/JPA/... spec comes up it will be the AppServer
> and integration runtime folks who have the need for accomodating the
> quirkier corners of "legacy" Java EE behaviour. They are going to have
> a perspective that is a little different from one whose success
> criteria is OSGi spec compliance without a need to additionally
> accomodate some of the warts, or integrate with some of the other
> features, of Java EE. Given this slightly different perspective (and
> the warts) it is perhaps understandable that a community with this
> interest might see value in developing its own culture within the laws
> of the (Apache) land, while living in peace with its neighbours.

Agreed it is important goal for your spec impls to support legacy, but
you seem to have some misconception about the amount of top-down control
exerted on Felix subprojects. Each subproject is pretty much free to do
whatever it wants as far as the implementation approach is concerned,
which is why we allow competing implementations within Felix.

-> richard