incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Aries incubator for Enterprise OSGi
Date Wed, 02 Sep 2009 14:30:23 GMT
I will try to keep this short.

The OSGi Service Platform is composed of the core and compendium specs.
The EEG specs are not in any way special and will ultimately end up as
part of the compendium spec. Apache Felix was incubated to build a
community at Apache around implementing the OSGi specs.

Now we are being told that this mission is too tainted because we
implement the framework spec, which is part of the core spec. I find
this unfathomable given the nature of OSGi and the efforts to which the
Felix community goes to be good OSGi citizens...we even allow for
competing implementations within our community.

It is also particularly odd, since the Equinox and Knopflerfish
communities are in the same situation, implementing both core and
compendium specs with their frameworks largely synonymous with their
project name.

I am not naive enough to expect this discussion to change much, since I
imagine there has already been a fair amount of political calculation
around this proposal, otherwise the Felix community in general would
have been engaged earlier.

So, here's my vote:

    * -1 for the portion of the proposal creating yet another community
      for implementing OSGi specs at Apache since the Felix community
      would happily welcome more contribution (just like recently
      occurred with ServiceMix members being accepted as Felix
      committers and PMC members for the Karaf subproject)
    * +1 for the rest of the proposal to explore how to build an
      enterprise component model on OSGi and the other non-spec related
      topics.

-> richard