incubator-general mailing list archives

From Francis De Brabandere <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Empire-db version 2.0.5-incubating (take 2)
Date Tue, 01 Sep 2009 22:57:52 GMT
On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 5:46 PM, sebb<> wrote:
>>  > The new release candidate uses exactly the same name for the artifacts
>>  > and the SVN tag.
>>  >
>>  > This makes it very difficult to determine later what was actually voted on.
>> Hmm, I don't see how this can be changed when using nexus, the Idea
>>  there is to 'stage' a release and avoid it to be sent to the main
>>  maven repo if it is not 100% correct. So for a 2.0.5 to get in there
>>  we need to release as 2.0.5. And if this release fails I see no other
>>  way than to start over using the same tags (renaming failed tag)
>>  I could rename the tags to rc-1, rc-2 but that would not correspond to
>>  the versions used in the pom's.
>>  How do you suggest we do this?
> No idea, but at least some other Incubator projects seem to manage
> this OK, as shown by threads here.

ok I talked about this on #maven and this is what they came up with

<francisdb> we are using nexus
<struberg> hi francisdb, we are cutting M3-rc1 M3-rc2 etc over at OWB
<struberg> there has been a (reaaaaaly long) discusson on the commons
list on this topic
<struberg> maybe you can check for it.

I suppose he is talking about this thread or soem related thread

<Brian> francisdb, we typically stage rc's for testing but only call
votes on the last one
<Brian> the final version may end up being staged multiple times with
the same version number but using rc's reduces that likelyhood
<francisdb> I see
<francisdb> so your final version tag might be created/deleted a few times

So overwriting the tag should not be a problem as the maven guys are
also doing that. But indeed before calling a vote we might want to
have some rc's inspected to reduce the likelihood of a failing vote

Do you agree with this idea?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message