incubator-general mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Aries incubator for Enterprise OSGi
Date Thu, 03 Sep 2009 16:37:44 GMT

On Sep 2, 2009, at 5:01 AM, Leo Simons wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 3:38 PM, Jeremy Hughes<hughesj@apache.org>
> wrote:
>> We appreciate any feedback and comments on the proposal.
>
> * Any chance of one or two of the other ASF members involved also
> stepping up as a mentor?

That would be very good. I left my name of the mentor list, hoping to
encourage additional mentors...

> * Projects that consist of groups of components often have some
> problems maintaining sufficient cohesion as a community. I hope you
> guys will give that the specific attention it probably requires and
> tune the project charter appropriately.

I think there is more cohesion than simply an aggregation of
components. Should be able to make this more obvious in the proposal.

> * I have no problems with having multiple OSGi projects at apache as
> long as they're all healthy communities and they play nice with each
> other.
>
> (...)
>
> Of course the "play nice" part is interesting here -- I'm frowning a
> bit at seeing this how-to-interact-with-felix discussion kick off with
> a pretty much finished proposal going to the incubator. Surely the
> conversation can go a bit differently? For example maybe you could've
> approached felix first and discussed seeding the project with some of
> the parts-of-felix (along with developers) that are argued to need an
> independent-from-felix re-brand? Maybe you can take a step back
> together even now and see if something like that might make sense? Or,
> maybe you can co-operate on a shared registry / website of the OSGi
> components in all the different projects so that people visiting
> apache.org are not confused? Or something like that?
>
> I hope you guys find a way to reduce the friction and co-operate;
> having what looks like battle lines being drawn up at the start of
> incubation is _not_ a good thing.

The only friction that I've seen is whether or not this work should be
under/destined for a Felix umbrella. I'm not aware of any existing
technical overlap, nor anything that would prevent extensive sharing/
cooperation (even if we end up with 2 TLPs)...

> I do expect to see that felix/aria conversation resolved clearly one
> way or another before the proposal goes up for a vote. Even if the
> resolution is "there will significant charter overlap and duplication
> of effort and code and probably little committer overlap between the
> communities because we disagree on how to do things" then I'd like to
> see that clearly spelled out.

Agreed.

--kevan