incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Aries incubator for Enterprise OSGi
Date Wed, 02 Sep 2009 17:01:34 GMT
On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 4:29 PM, Guillaume Nodet<gnodet@gmail.com> wrote:
> We have in this proposal a lot of people who are not felix committers and
> who are not even apache committers at all.
>
> They want to work on some code and create a community around it.  The way
> the ASF works means that the incubator is the right place to do so.

Sidenote: not necessarily always the *only* possible right place.

A PMC can easily grant lots of access to its repositories to existing
committers. For example, the gump repo is open to all ASF committers,
and the excalibur repo is open to cocoon, james and turbine
committers.

Adding new committers obviously has a few more barriers, but those
barriers are not all bad. It can also be quite healthy for people new
to apache to submit patches that are committed by those people that
are already apache committers; I believe its often a faster way to
learn apache-style processes than the sort-of "sandboxing" that
happens in incubator. In fact, Harmony started with 0 committers (and
lots of contributors) and the community dynamic that resulted from
that approach was actually quite a good one, and I don't think it
meant lost velocity in the end either.

cheers,

- Leo