incubator-general mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Empire-db version 2.0.5-incubating (take 2)
Date Tue, 01 Sep 2009 17:00:12 GMT
On 01/09/2009, Francis De Brabandere <francisdb@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Also, just noticed that there is another version of the tutorial in
>  > Word format (tutorial.doc).
>  >
>  > This is stored in SVN alongside tutorial.pdf, but for some reason in
>  > the archive the doc file is stored in one of the subdirectories, viz:
>  > src/empire-db-examples. Not sure why one would need the proprietary
>  > Word fomat document - surely anyone that can read Word can also read
>  > PDF format files? - but if it is needed, seems to me it should be
>  > alongside the PDF version of the file.
>  >
>  > Not blockers, but should be fixed for a future release.
>

> The problem is that you can not edit pdf files, so that doc is the
>  source for the pdf. I don't see why we should add that to the
>  distribution.

OK, I see.

In that case, the .doc file does need to be in the source archive, as
the archive is supposed to contain everything needed to build the
binary output.

There should probably be a comment in the Build instructions to
mention that the PDF is built from the DOC file.

>  We can always convert it to openoffice file format or
>  something else if that helps.

No need to do so.

BTW, there are ways of converting plain text files to PDF which can be
automated using Maven plugins; in which case only the source would
need to be stored in SVN. The PDF could be generated as part of the
Maven build process. Just a suggestion to consider in future.