incubator-general mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Making up policy on the fly
Date Wed, 19 Aug 2009 07:56:55 GMT
On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Ralph Goers<ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> On Aug 18, 2009, at 11:34 PM, Janne Jalkanen wrote:
>
>>> I remember when the policy regarding @author tags was set several years
>>> ago. Plenty of projects were using them to identify developers.
>>
>> Is this documented anywhere?  All I could find was a number of discussions
>> referencing such a decision, but I could not find an actual document which
>> states the policy towards @author-tags.
>
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2004/board_minutes_2004_09_22.txt.
>  Discussion item F.

Which says "Recommend strongly that @author is avoided; but leave it
to each PMC to make the final call with their respective
communities.".

That's typical of many things that some of us consider "policies",
which are in fact only (possibly strong) recommendations.

IMHO, the Incubator PMC should not (in general) be picky with such
things provided a particular podling's mentors support the podling's
way of doing things.

-Bertrand (haven't read this thread fully yet, just jumping in)