incubator-general mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <>
Subject Re: Thrift release legal issues
Date Mon, 17 Aug 2009 01:29:42 GMT
On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 9:17 AM, Joe Schaefer<> wrote:

> AIUI, and the way httpd does it, the LICENSE file contains all the licenses in
> the distribution, preferably in an annotated fashion so you know which license
> goes with which component.  The NOTICE file is for any additional required
> Copyright statements and/or attribution notices that each license may require.

I understand this to be the recommended approach, but IIRC I have seen
other ones, such as having the NOTICE file contain a local pointer to
each license in a separate file, often named accordingly, such as
license.bsd or in some cases (where foo is the component
being dependent on). I also have the impression that a single LICENSE
file containing all licenses with a heading of which
component/part/dependency is under which license, is the only
candidate for a unified approach and promoted heavily by many...

Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer - New Energy for Java

I  live here;
I  work here;
I relax here;

To unsubscribe, e-mail: