incubator-general mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Third-party dependencies in CouchDB
Date Mon, 10 Aug 2009 01:56:13 GMT
Well, there is no clear policy AFAIK how a larger codebase, without
community and without the intent of "donation" is to be handled. Yes, these
are rare events and I hope it remain such...

Personally I think that ASF's strength comes from the fact that most code
here is written here, but OTOH I'm sightly anti-NIH, which would talk
against such practice, and there are so much code out there ready to use.
Now, most of the time dependencies are the way to go, but sometimes it makes
more sense to just grab the little code you need, and not bring in a
multi-MB dep.

YMMV

-- Niclas

On Aug 10, 2009 5:15 AM, "Curt Arnold" <carnold@apache.org> wrote:

> Noah Slater | 9 Aug 12:42 wrote: > > I think this is a poor summary. Your
thread was taken serious...
Did not mean to imply that it was ignored, just that the suspect commit was
not reverted until the issue of the third-party code was resolved.

>> I'm having problems pointing to a definitive statement that says that
these are things that an...

> >  You're implying that people have disagreed with you, which is
> misleading. One of our committers h...

I was implying that I'm beyond the level that I can speak authoritatively
and that I could not readily find an explicit statement on the policy.
 Depending on the third-party components with those licenses is pretty
clearly acceptable but having its full source expanded and open for
modifications seemed over the line based on my recollections of discussions
here.  There is a boundary somewhere in the middle, but exactly where that
is I'm uncertain.

I have not seem discussion on a potential software grant (SGA) or vote on
the project mailing list.

 Niclas Hedhman | 9 Aug 12:54 wrote

> > Curt, > Two things come to my mind immediately, and this is without
> reading your references (migh...

It was a bad call on my part on the mailing list.

On the forking, even if the original code was ASL licensed, it should still
need to go through the Incubator (either as a podlet or as a software grant)
prior to an ASF project releasing a forked version.  I would assume that it
would require even more oversight for a non-ASL licensed to be forked by the
ASF.