incubator-general mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Third-party dependencies in CouchDB
Date Sun, 09 Aug 2009 10:54:58 GMT
Curt,
Two things come to my mind immediately, and this is without reading your
references (might do that when I'm back at a computer).

1. CouchDb graduated long ago, and is no longer the concern of the Incubator
in particular. If you have legal concerns that the CouchDb doesn't want to
address, I suggest you seek further info from legal-discuss, and if it isn't
of legal nature, go to the Board or Membership with the concerns...

2. Speaking from a legal perspective, there is nothing "at Apache" that
prevents people for doing source code copy, in small or large (a.k.a forks),
PROVIDED that the license allows it. I saw you mentioning BSD (modified I
hope) and MIT X, and those licenses require attribution and few other
things, so if that is done, there is no legal contention here. Now you said
that Apache doesn't fork... well the reason behind that (I think) is that we
are all lazy, it takes a lot of energy to maintain forks. And we don't do it
to compete with the original project, out of courtesy... is that your
complaint?

I appreciate your concerns, just target the right audience and preferably
with the invitation of the CouchDb PMC...

-- Niclas