incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Making up policy on the fly
Date Thu, 20 Aug 2009 10:25:00 GMT
On Aug 20, 2009, at 10:12 , ant elder wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 8:15 AM, Bertrand
> Delacretaz<bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:
>>

>> I agree with Bill that it's a good thing for the Incubator to clarify
>> best practices, and teach podlings to follow them even if older
>> projects sometimes don't. We tend to do the same for our kids, don't
>> we ? ;-)
>
> I don't have any issue with trying to teach poddlings best practices
> being a good idea, but i don't think the way we're handling poddling
> releases is doing that. [...]

> I think a big cause of frustration for poddlings and mentors is the
> unpredictable nature of release reviews with each vote for a release
> or RC respin getting a different set of best practice requirements
> depending on who is around to review.

Bertrand's analogy about educating kids highlights the problem. No two
parents raise their children in exactly the same way and if lots of
them all give their interpretation about "values" and "best practices"
the message can become quite confusing to these kids.

So is there anything that can be done to streamline that? Like having
just the mentors of the project vote on the release, instead of
everybody? If the mentors do a bad job, hold them accountable directly
without "confusing" the project.

Does that make any sense?

Greetings, Marcel