incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <>
Subject Re: Does an incubation proposal require a codebase?
Date Fri, 07 Aug 2009 15:04:43 GMT

On Aug 7, 2009, at 2:17 AM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 5:01 PM, Bertrand
> Delacretaz<> wrote:
>> I would oppose to a podling with no code base and no
>> names
>> in the list of initial committers - the chances of morphing that into
>> a working Apache project would seem to slim to me.
> I agree, and with one or more committers, Labs is open for business.
> Now, it could be that the non-ASFers will be major contributors in
> non-bulk manner (i.e. patches are too burdensome), in which case I
> don't think we have a solution here and I would suggest Google Code,
> GitHub or SourceForge as the bootstrapping hosting solution.

I think that is very sad. Our goal is to grow communities that develop
software using "the Apache way".  Sending them somewhere else so they
can come back later when they are a bit more mature is a great way to
get them to never come back.

A solution to this is for Noah to create 4 or 5 bogus bits of code and
call that the original code base to start from.