incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Making up policy on the fly
Date Tue, 18 Aug 2009 23:29:23 GMT

On Aug 18, 2009, at 4:11 PM, sebb wrote:

> On 18/08/2009, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 18, 2009, at 11:23 AM, Craig L Russell wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Ant,
>>>
>>> I didn't intend to make up stuff on the fly, especially policy.
>>>
>>> After having been through the fine points of LICENSE vs. NOTICE so
>>> many
>> times, I thought the consensus was to put *all* licenses into the
>> top level
>> LICENSE file. But having just scoured the official public pages
>> promulgating
>> policy, I can't find it.
>>>
>>> Let's continue the discussion.
>>>
>>> I still believe that it's bad form to put licenses in several
>>> places in
>> distributions because users might not find them and thereby not
>> know what
>> they're getting.
>>>

>> You may consider it bad form, but until it is actually documented as
>> incubator or ASF policy I wouldn't consider it to be enough to
>> block a
>> release. Especially since I am quite sure there will be a debate
>> about
>> whether it must be one way or the other.
>
> Surely we should be making things easy for the end-users of the
> software?
>
> AIUI ASF policy is for there to be "no surprises".
>
> Having a single starting point - the LICENSE and NOTICE files in the
> top-level directory - seems to me to be the way to do this.

I agree.

> It's really unfair to expect end-users to trawl around the directory
> structure looking for license files, whose names are non-standard.

I didn't say anything about trawling around the directory structure.
But blocking a release because the LICENSE file has a pointer to a
directory vs including the licenses in the file is inappropriate until
either the IPMC or ASF documents that. And I don't mean to imply that
you are suggesting that a release should be blocked due to that.

Ralph