incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release cassandra 0.4.0-beta1
Date Mon, 17 Aug 2009 15:28:41 GMT
Hi Ant,

On Aug 17, 2009, at 7:33 AM, ant elder wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 3:04 PM, sebb<sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>>  >> the NOTICE file looks acceptable to me too.
>>>  >
>>>  > AIUI, the NOTICE file needs to give attributions to all 3rd
>>> party code
>>>  > included in the propose release.
>>>

>>> no - just require 3rd party attribution notices and relocated
>>>  copyrights (see http://www.apache.org/legal/src-
>>> headers.html#notice)
>>
>> So all the 3rd party licenses need to be checked to see if they
>> require attribution or not.
>>
>> I've only checked one - Antlr - and AFAICT that does require
>> attribution (notice).
>>

> The contents of the NOTICE file is another area I think is not so
> precisely defined.
> http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice says:
>
> "The remainder of the NOTICE file is to be used for required
> third-party notices"

The NOTICE file is where downstream consumers of Apache software
expect to find *all* *required* third-party notices.

> but there is nothing that defines what are "required third-party
> notices". The ANTLR license (http://www.antlr.org/license.html) says:
>
> "Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
> notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
> documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution."

When a notice includes the words "required", "must", "shall", or other
imperative, then the notice is considered to be a "required third-
party notice". And it should therefore be placed into the top level
NOTICE file of the distribution.

> This is done in the Cassandra release by including the complete ANTLR
> license in a separate license file,

This is not sufficient.

> and as thats done it covers all
> the ANTLR requirements so is there any specific ASF policy that says
> its also necessary to have anything related to ANTLR in the NOTICE
> file?

The reason the Apache policy is written the way it is, is to avoid
downstream users from having to search through lots of different files
with non-standard names to find all the third-party notices.

Craig