incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release cassandra 0.4.0-beta1
Date Mon, 17 Aug 2009 22:52:53 GMT
Hi Ant,

On Aug 17, 2009, at 8:40 AM, ant elder wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 4:28 PM, Craig L
> Russell<Craig.Russell@sun.com> wrote:
>> Hi Ant,

>>> The contents of the NOTICE file is another area I think is not so
>>> precisely defined.
>>> http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice says:
>>>
>>> "The remainder of the NOTICE file is to be used for required
>>> third-party notices"
>>
>> The NOTICE file is where downstream consumers of Apache software
>> expect to
>> find *all* *required* third-party notices.
>>>
>>> but there is nothing that defines what are "required third-party
>>> notices". The ANTLR license (http://www.antlr.org/license.html)
>>> says:
>>>
>>> "Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
>>> notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
>>> documentation and/or other materials provided with the
>>> distribution."
>>
>> When a notice includes the words "required", "must", "shall", or
>> other
>> imperative, then the notice is considered to be a "required third-
>> party
>> notice". And it should therefore be placed into the top level
>> NOTICE file of
>> the distribution.
>
> But if thats what we take as the meaning then that would mean the
> entire ANTLR license should be included in the NOTICE file because the
> ANTLR license clause is asking for three things to be reproduced:
>
> 1) the above copyright notice
> 2) this list of conditions
> 3) the following disclaimer
>
> So is the suggestion then that all those three things be included in
> the NOTICE file?

Yes! This is the "required notice" that we're talking about.

 From the Antlr web page referenced above http://www.antlr.org/license.html
  you need to put this into your NOTICE file:
Antlr is covered by the following notice:
Copyright (c) 2003-2008, Terence Parr
All rights reserved.
modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
met:

	• Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
	• Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
	• Neither the name of the author nor the names of its contributors
may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
without specific prior written permission.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS
"AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT
LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR
A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT
OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT
LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE,
DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY
THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
(INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE
OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

> I've not seen any Apache projects do that.

And your LICENSE file contains the text of the BSD license with the
notation that the Antlr bit is covered by the BSD license.

Craig