incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Diversity as an insurance policy (Was: [VOTE] Graduation of Apache Pivot)
Date Wed, 05 Aug 2009 16:02:25 GMT

On Aug 5, 2009, at 8:40 AM, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 5:21 PM, Ralph
> Goers<ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>> You won't find the second part solely from the commit log. I would
>> expect
>> mentors to be monitoring the dev list. If it is filled with "can
>> you fix
>> this?" then there is a problem. But if it also has "why did you do
>> this?",
>> "can we do this?", "I don't understand this commit" type messages
>> then I
>> expect the second concern is adequately addressed.
>
> There's a difference between discussing a change on the list and
> actually committing it to svn. It's the difference between a
> contributor and a committer.
>
> We are looking for projects with at least three independent
> committers, and personally I'm not including inactive committers in
> that count.

Now you are making hard and fast rules again to predict the future
health of the community.

I am suggesting that having a community where 2 guys are committing
and several others participate enough that they could take over in the
event 1 should leave is perfectly fine. I'd be far more worried if the
two guys were just doing what they want and not listening to the
others or referring to themselves as project "leads".

Putting up arbitrary hurdles that projects must somehow leap over
isn't the right way to get them out of the nest.

Ralph