incubator-general mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bernd.fonderm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Does an incubation proposal require a codebase?
Date Fri, 07 Aug 2009 08:09:49 GMT
On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 07:55, Noah Slater<nslater@apache.org> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I am thinking about making an incubation proposal for a project I've been
> wanting to do for a while now. I have list of initial committers and a technical
> architecture proposal, but no actual code yet.
>
>  Moreover, in order to provide a seed to grow and ground discussions on
>  technical levels, the ASF incubation rules require the podlings to join the
>  incubation process with an established and working codebase.
>
>                                            - http://labs.apache.org/bylaws.html
>
> I checked the incubation rules, but couldn't find any mention of this rule. Our
> hopes were that we could start from scratch as a podling, and grow the code
> along with the community. Is this going to be possible?

You are talking about the Incubator, but referencing the Labs bylaws.
Maybe that's what's confusing you.

Here's a quick summary what's possible at the ASF:

Incubator: Come from the outside with a project (code + community)
Labs: Start from scratch (without code nor community)
There's a third way: Go to a project which might like your idea and
request a sandbox (no code but community).
A way of organizing a project having code but without community is
left for a (private) exercise. ;-)

  Bernd