incubator-general mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE RESULTS] was: [VOTE] Release cassandra 0.4.0-beta1
Date Wed, 19 Aug 2009 03:58:18 GMT
----- Original Message ----

Holsman)

> distributed

> > > Though that is only required if the libthrift.jar is to be distributed
> > > separately, eg from a Maven repository, which isn't the case at the
> > > moment.
> >
> > Agreed that that aspect isn't essential here.  The real issue is to figure out
> > what the licensing terms are on the TProcessorFactory component.
>
> The relevant commit is r665124- Simon Forman doesn't yet have an ICLA
> on file with the ASF.

I should probably explain the issue in more detail, since only the handful
of people who have read the Facebook CCLA as it pertains to Thrift
understand what I'm talking about.

First take a look at http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=665124
That code is the property of Simon Forman, not Facebook, because Facebook
apparently expended no effort in obtaining copyright assignments or any other
form of licensing agreement which would give Facebook clear title to it.
The reason that code is in our subversion repository is because it was loaded
by me into our repo based on an svn dump provided by Facebook.  Thus Simon
has implicitly licensed his work to Facebook to be distributed under the
Thrift License, which is an MIT variant.  And they distributed his work
to us under that license, which is why I loaded it into our repo.

In the course of doing their work at Apache, the Thrift developers changed
all the Thrift-licensed code to the Apache License.  Unfortunately nothing
gives them the right to do that with Simon Forman's contribution until and unless
Simon either explicitly approves of the change or better yet faxes in an ICLA
to Apache.  Thus there is an outstanding problem with the current license
on those files.

Simon Forman is not alone, but fortunately there are only a handful of
outstanding exceptions to deal with.  I have no idea if his contributions
are the only ones outstanding for the Java code within Thrift.  What I
have done so far is talked about the issue to the legal team and written
Simon asking for him to send in an ICLA.  If Simon doesn't get back to us
and never offers his approval, we can treat his contributions as we would
any other third party, and in this case sublicense his work.  But we need
to do that properly if it comes to that.

HTH