incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Making up policy on the fly
Date Wed, 19 Aug 2009 05:11:37 GMT

On Aug 18, 2009, at 5:13 PM, Joe Schaefer wrote:

> [...]

Being ambiguous is no way to set policy.

I don't really care whether the license file contains all the license
text or points to other licenses, but by saying "should" it basically
says "This is our preferred way of doing it, but if you are doing
something else no one is going to stop you."  Since it doesn't say
what the other options are that would imply that even having to search
for the other license files is OK too, as long as they are somewhere
the user can find.

How about PMC's should vote on releases? Maybe we should just leave it
at "PMCs should vote on the source code for a release".  "Apache
projects should use the Apache license".

Yes, this gets ridiculous, but if you don't say what is acceptable and
what is not then don't bother to say anything at all.

I remember when the policy regarding @author tags was set several
years ago. Plenty of projects were using them to identify developers.

Ralph