incubator-general mailing list archives

From Janne Jalkanen <janne.jalka...@ecyrd.com>
Subject Re: [appeal] Help JSPWiki Graduate!
Date Sun, 09 Aug 2009 08:47:36 GMT
> The podling Status page hasn't been updated in ages.
> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/jspwiki.html
> Personally i would at least add some News items in there.
> That would help to encourage more participants and helps
> the IPMC at graduation review time.
> There are some items that i expect are already done.
> Investigate some other projects status files.

Yes, we're keeping our task list in JIRA instead of the web page,
simply because it's a lot easier, and encourages participation more
than a static HTML file somewhere.  We should probably have a link to
the relevant JIRA issues so that the info is in one place (as you well
know, information kept in multiple locations is always out of date).

We have multiple news channels out there (a blog, the wiki, an a
twitter account).  So perhaps we should just feed the Twitter news
stream in a badge onto the page?

> Clutch shows that there is one new committer since entry.

It should show two new committers; Harry Metske and Florian Holeczek.
Don't know why that is.

The incubator proposal wiki page is at http://www.jspwiki.org/wiki/ApacheJSPWikiProposal

> and provide decent patches. Getting more committers
> should encourage others.

True...

> I suggest practicing ahead of time, as it will be less
> frustrating when you go for the real release. Note down
> your steps. Look around other projects and TLPs - many
> have notes about their release process so that other devs
> can assist and can do it themselves next time.

Releasing is a process we've done over many times :-).

> Most say that whoever is designated the Release Manager
> needs to be prepared to put in a large amount of time.

Unfortunately, nobody over here has a large amount of time available :-
(.  JSPWiki is *fully* voluntary, which means that other priorities
are more important often.  This BTW explains our very long incubation
time as well.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JSPWIKI-545

> I see that your "LICENSE" file includes references to
> the supporting products licenses. Personally i think that
> that is a reasonable solution to a hard maintenance problem.
> Others say that we are required to display actual text of
> all licenses there.

Yes, we chose to put the actual licenses under doc/ with the LICENSE
file being a reference to them.  Otherwise it becomes a real PITA to
maintain, esp. considering that we've been changing our support
libraries quite a lot recently.

> Hmmm, i think that this file is intended for actual
> notices that are requested in the various supporting products
> licenses.

Never really knew the purpose :-)

> One thing that you can get ready prior to release
> is the distribution area at w.a.o/dist/incubator/jspwiki/

Gotcha.

> Look around other TLPs. Many have HEADER.html etc. files.
> (Yes i know that not many other incubating projects do it.)
> For people who stumble directly to mirrors or worse,
> directly to w.a.o/dist/ space, rather than going via your
> project's download page, these notices encourage them to
> download from the mirrors instead, and provide instructions
> for download verification. For example see Forrest.
> We store those ancillary files in our SVN.

OK, good.  And then a script copies it in the right place during
release process, I take it?

> I am not sure what the requirements are to notify that
> the release is by a project in incubation. There are some
> docs at incubator.apache.org site. See the mirror headers
> at w.a.o/dist/incubator/ top-level. There is some disclaimer
> text there that you might like to use too.

Yes, it's something that we've been wondering...  Our release scheme
will look interesting with a version numbering such as "JSPWiki-3.0.0-
alpha-1-incubating". ;-)

> The KEYS file is something else that you can get ready ahead
> of release time. Even if it only contains the signature of
> the Release Manager. Better with more, of course.

It should be up to date already.

> Anyway, i hope that helps a little to ease your next phase.

Thanks; that should help!

One interesting question is what we should do to "jspwiki.org" domain.
I'm quite willing to give it to ASF, no worries, just to ease any
potential trademark issues; but whether ASF wants it is another matter.

/Janne