incubator-general mailing list archives

From ant elder <ant.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Making up policy on the fly
Date Sun, 23 Aug 2009 08:01:49 GMT
On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 12:50 AM, Noel J. Bergman<noel@devtech.com> wrote:
> Joe Schaefer wrote:
>> ant elder wrote:
>
>> > - make complying with "best practices" a graduation requirement not a
>>   > release requirement
>
>> This sounds silly as complying with best practices is neither a graduation
>> requirement nor a release requirement.
>
> The pejorative aside, I concur that Ant's suggestion is not the right way to
> go, because graduation is too late to instill Best Practice.  We want
> practices to be ingrained, not performed as a one-off in order to graduate.

Ok, but IMHO one thing that is getting ingrained into poddlings and
observers right now is that we have lots and lots of rules and
regulations, often undocumented and/or with no obvious consensus, and
that the Incubator can be like a bureaucratic government department
from hell where obscure requirements are randomly brought up to make
getting releases done take as much work as possible. Surely that is
not what we want a major part of our interface to the rest of the
world to look like?

I've been trying to come up with concrete suggestion for things to
try, what are other suggestions on how to improve things?

 ...ant