incubator-general mailing list archives

From ant elder <antel...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Making up policy on the fly
Date Sun, 23 Aug 2009 08:00:16 GMT
On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 7:32 AM, ant elder<antelder@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Niall
> Pemberton<niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:

>> If there are improvements that can be made to policy/docs then great,
>> but complaining about feedback rather than appreciating that someone
>> took the trouble to review a release is a mistake IMO.
>>

> Several improvements have been suggested on this thread so far, the
> two mains ones are:

> - make complying with "best practices" a graduation requirement not a
> release requirement

Some more suggestions:

- When issues come up during release reviews we often debate them here
instead of getting documented answers from those that know so perhaps
we should make more use of the ASF Legal Affairs Committee JIRA space
- https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL

- Use VOTE threads for voting. This is I think accepted best practice
but quite often in our release vote threads we get posts with a list
of issues but no vote and it can be hard to determine which if any are
considered blocking problems that require a respin. I know I've been
guilty of this too. Would it help if we all try to be clearer in our
reviews and actually include a vote, or at least state precisely which
issues need clarification before we'd vote?

   ...ant