incubator-general mailing list archives

From ant elder <ant.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release cassandra 0.4.0-beta1
Date Mon, 17 Aug 2009 15:40:32 GMT
On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 4:28 PM, Craig L Russell<Craig.Russell@sun.com> wrote:
> Hi Ant,

>>> So all the 3rd party licenses need to be checked to see if they
>>> require attribution or not.
>>>
>>> I've only checked one - Antlr - and AFAICT that does require
>>> attribution (notice).
>>>

>> The contents of the NOTICE file is another area I think is not so
>> precisely defined.
>> http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice says:
>>
>> "The remainder of the NOTICE file is to be used for required
>> third-party notices"
>
> The NOTICE file is where downstream consumers of Apache software expect to
> find *all* *required* third-party notices.
>>
>> but there is nothing that defines what are "required third-party
>> notices". The ANTLR license (http://www.antlr.org/license.html) says:
>>
>> "Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
>> notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
>> documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution."
>
> When a notice includes the words "required", "must", "shall", or other
> imperative, then the notice is considered to be a "required third-party
> notice". And it should therefore be placed into the top level NOTICE file of
> the distribution.

But if thats what we take as the meaning then that would mean the
entire ANTLR license should be included in the NOTICE file because the
ANTLR license clause is asking for three things to be reproduced:

1) the above copyright notice
2) this list of conditions
3) the following disclaimer

So is the suggestion then that all those three things be included in
the NOTICE file? I've not seen any Apache projects do that.

   ...ant