incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Diversity as an insurance policy (Was: [VOTE] Graduation of Apache Pivot)
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2009 02:30:40 GMT

On Aug 5, 2009, at 10:15 AM, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 6:58 PM, Martijn
> Dashorst<martijn.dashorst@gmail.com> wrote:
>> AFAIK Nowhere in the policy it is stated that committer activity ==
>> code commits.
>
> True, but that's how I interpret it, for reasons stated earlier in
> this thread.
>
> My -1 in the Pivot vote is just a statement of concern based on my
> interpretation of the exit criteria defined in our policy. If it were
> up to me, I'd ask Pivot to focus a bit more in encouraging others to
> participate also with writing the code before making them a TLP.
>
> You can take that and the other -1 and try to address them before
> calling another vote, or go with the majority result if you think our
> concerns are baseless or already addressed.

I don't think your concerns about Pivot are baseless. I think that
stating them in terms of number of commits doesn't really frame your
concern properly.

Here is how I would express my concerns based on the messages I've
read here.
1. We know there are two committers who understand the code very well.
Do the mentors feel the rest of the community has the necessary
understanding and commitment to pick up the slack should something
happen to those two individuals?
2. Does the community participate in the direction of the project? Do
the committers do whatever they want without review or do others
participate?
3. If Pivot were given permission to graduate would the project really
have the momentum it needs to sustain itself as a TLP or does it
belong as a subproject under an umbrella project?

Ralph