incubator-general mailing list archives

From Niall Pemberton <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Empire-db 2.0.5
Date Fri, 21 Aug 2009 13:34:37 GMT
On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 1:05 PM, sebb<sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21/08/2009, Martijn Dashorst <martijn.dashorst@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 1:52 PM, sebb<sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  > There is only a combined source/binary archive, which is not standard practise.
>>  > All other projects release a source archive; almost all also release a
>>  > separate binary archive.
>>

>> FWIW, Apache Wicket has released combined binary/source archives since
>>  its inception. Not something that needs changing.
>>

>>  > The archive does not have a DISCLAIMER file - yes, the disclaimer text
>>  > is in README, but the general practise is for a separate file.
>>

>> DISCLAIMER should be next to LICENSE, NOTICE and README. Remember to
>>  remove upon graduation :-)
>>

>>  > The NOTICE file is incorrect. The date is 2008, and the second
>>  > paragraph must be:
>>  >
>>  > This product includes software developed at
>>  > The Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).
>>  >
>>  > i.e. switch the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs
>>

>> Should be fixed.
>>

>>  > Minor points:
>>  >
>>  > It would be useful to include compiler source and target versions as
>>  > headers in the jar manifests (the manifests are otherwise good)
>>

>> Shouldn't maven do this already? [1]
>
> The headers referred to in [1] are present, I was referring to headers such as:

> These need to be added manually. Not essential, but can be very useful.

These are something Apache Commons adopted a couple of years ago, but
they are non-standard manifest entries and I've not heard of any other
projects using them:

http://commons.markmail.org/message/hhj45i24uh5q23pd

Commons uses a property in their parent pom for the source/target JDK
versions which is fed both into the compiler plugin and then output to
the jar's manifest:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/commons-parent/trunk/pom.xml.

Niall