incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jason Davies <ja...@jasondavies.com>
Subject Trademark issues with importing "ibrowse" into Apache CouchDB
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2009 14:22:36 GMT
Hello all,

We recently imported a third-party library "ibrowse" [1] into Apache
CouchDB.  Getting a software grant agreement is not a problem
(although we should have done this earlier).  However, as part of the
due diligence checks I am supposed to check for any existing
trademarks that it might violate.  I did a simple search on the US
trademark database and discovered there is a live trademark for
"ibrowse".  The trademark number is 2956316.

Now, Googling for "ibrowse" turns up quite a few search results from
different usages of this name, so I don't know whether this means it
is not being enforced, and whether that means we don't need to worry.

If someone more knowledgeable could check the trademark and advise on
whether Chandru (author of the ibrowse module that we are importing)
needs to change anything, and whether this is a problem from Apache
CouchDB, that would be very helpful.  Also, if there is a more
appropriate mailing list for this question, please let me know.

Thanks!

[1]: http://github.com/cmullaparthi/ibrowse/tree/master
[2]: http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=login&p_lang=english&p_d=trmk

--