incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <>
Subject Re: Does an incubation proposal require a codebase?
Date Fri, 07 Aug 2009 16:26:45 GMT

On Aug 7, 2009, at 8:52 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 5:27 PM, Niall
> Pemberton<> wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 10:01 AM, Bertrand
>> Delacretaz<> wrote:
>>> ...I would oppose to a podling with no code base and no
>>> names
>>> in the list of initial committers - the chances of morphing that
>>> into
>>> a working Apache project would seem to slim to me.
>> I don't understand this, any proposal is going to need some mentors
>> get accepted, so if there members of the IPMC are willing to oversee
>> this, why would you want to add an additional requirement of existing
>> committers? I thought the idea to incubator was "low entry barrier,
>> high exit barrier"....
> I was imagining a bunch of unknown people coming up with a vague idea
> for a project, and no that would seem too risky to warrant
> dedicating resources to a podling.
> Now, if mentors were enthusiastic about that podling, why not...that's
> kind of a rethorical question anyway, as in the present case Noah
> indicates that there is a group of experienced people.
> Let's see their proposal then, but from what I've seen in this thread
> I'm positive about it.

I agree. If unknown people can generate enough interest from mentors
to get them to volunteer why stop them. OTOH, I would suggest that
mentors should be extra cautious in accepting and particularly
watchful as the project starts.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message