incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: incorrect terminology: lead developers
Date Tue, 11 Aug 2009 10:14:27 GMT
On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 4:40 AM, Greg Brown<gkbrown@mac.com> wrote:
> If I can attempt to summarize, there is a difference between the *concept*
> of a leader and the *title* of a leader here at ASF (please correct me if I
> am wrong).

Correct! You missed the rationale in the summary, though :-)

* There is a goal that leadership comes from multiple people (and also
not from people at a single company, and only as allowed by the
community, and ...).
* There is a goal that who lead can change over time.
* There is a goal that it is easy for new people to feel included and
get involved.
* There is quite a bit more emphasis on
leadership-that-is-not-software-development at the ASF and especially
during incubation.

And such and so forth. The terminology (not) in use tends to help just
a little bit to work towards those goals.

...just a little bit, though, most of it is still up to you! :)

cheers,

- Leo