incubator-general mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Does an incubation proposal require a codebase?
Date Fri, 07 Aug 2009 08:27:13 GMT
On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 10:05:46AM +0200, Martijn Dashorst wrote:
> A code base is not required, but highly recommended. It is hard to bootstrap a
> community from scratch. Having something readily available makes a project
> more tangible, and can attract more contributors with more ease.

I'm not sure I understand this argument.

Sure, it's hard to bootstrap a community from scratch, but we're going to have
to do that whatever the case. The only difference would be where we do that,
either with the ASF or without it. What would be the problem of building the
community and the code at the same time within the Incubator?

> That said, I think there were a couple of projects that came to the
> incubator without code, IIRC Photark is one of them.

Hmm, interesting.

So there's no hard and fast rule then?

Thanks,