incubator-general mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Does an incubation proposal require a codebase?
Date Fri, 07 Aug 2009 08:24:02 GMT
On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 10:09:49AM +0200, Bernd Fondermann wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 07:55, Noah Slater<nslater@apache.org> wrote:
> > Moreover, in order to provide a seed to grow and ground discussions on
> > technical levels, the ASF incubation rules require the podlings to join the
> > incubation process with an established and working codebase.
[...]
> You are talking about the Incubator, but referencing the Labs bylaws.
> Maybe that's what's confusing you.

Nope, I don't think so.

The bit that I quoted was from a Labs document, but was talking about rules for
the Incubator. I am confused because I can't find anything in the Incubator
rules about this. So I'm wondering if this is an omission, or if the Labs
document is in error.

> Incubator: Come from the outside with a project (code + community)

We don't have code, but we have a few interested people.

> Labs: Start from scratch (without code nor community)

Not possible, because some of our contributers are not ASF committers.

> There's a third way: Go to a project which might like your idea and
> request a sandbox (no code but community).

There would be no sensible place to do this.

Thanks,