incubator-general mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: photark project (was: Re: Stepping down as mentor for PhotArk)
Date Mon, 03 Aug 2009 18:48:16 GMT
On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 11:28 AM, Luciano Resende <luckbr1975@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 10:09 AM, Martin Cooper<martinc@apache.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 4:35 PM, Angela Cymbalak <a.cymbalak@nechtan.org
> >wrote:
> >
> >> I've been spending more than my fair share of time on Facebook lately.
>  Are
> >> we allowed to set up a Facebook page for the project?  Just not sure
> since
> >> we are in incubation?  What about a Twitter feed?  Can we do those
> without
> >> breaking any of the incubation rules?  I can do them if I know what my
> >> guidelines are...
> >

> > What would be the benefit of a Facebook page? I can see a Twitter feed
> might
> > be useful assuming there's some project activity to twitter about, but
> I'm
> > not sure I see a purpose to a Facebook page. I'm certainly open to
> hearing
> > about how it might help, though.
> >

> The idea would be to use the Facebook page to share some project
> announcements, such as releases, participation on conferences, etc I
> believe this is the same idea we are using for the main "The Apache
> Software Foundation"  page in Facebook.

That Facebook page hasn't seen a wall post for five months, or a discussion
since 2007...

OK, so let's say we set up a Facebook page for PhotArk. Maybe we announce it
by writing on the ASF page's wall. Don't people have to become a "fan" of
the page to see updates to it without proactively going to the page? That's
the part I don't get - how does this help us reach out? Surely people who
don't already know about it are only going to hear about it if, for example,
you or I say something about it in our 'status'. (I'm talking about Facebook
here.) But we don't need a Facebook page before we can say something in our
'status'. So how does the page help?

I'm sure I must be missing something here. ;-(

--
Martin Cooper