incubator-general mailing list archives

From J Aaron Farr <>
Subject Re: Mentors role after Graduation?
Date Fri, 03 Jul 2009 06:27:04 GMT
On Thu 02 Jul 2009 16:39, Upayavira <> wrote:

>> I would like to clarify whether Mentors are expected to be on the PMC
>> of a TLP graduating project or not.
>> Someone told me that some podling in the past was requested to do so,
>> while I personally have declined to be on any PMC I have mentored so
>> far, although I have stayed on as an ASF Member observer at an arm's
>> length to step in with advice, assistance and help if needed, for a
>> 6-12 month period.
> I think it is important to have some representation of the ASF
> membership on a PMC. Perhaps the gauge is to stay on, as a member of the
> PMC, until the PMC starts to breed its own ASF members.

Podlings should be able to choose their own PMC and do not need an ASF
member on that PMC.  However, it's useful to have at least one member,
such as a former mentor, around on the private@ list to answer
questions.  New TLPs have a VP who can go directly to the board, so it's
not like they're completely on their own, but at least having someone
subscribed to the private@ list can help.

   J. Aaron Farr

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: