incubator-general mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <>
Subject Re: Maximum number of Mentors??
Date Tue, 14 Jul 2009 03:25:09 GMT
2009/7/14 Noel J. Bergman <>:
>> +1 (binding) on the singular change of dropping Mladen Turk and Nick Kew
>> as Mentors since that makes it 5 mentors, which is problematic (3 seems
>> to be the max).
> Where does that idea come from?  Mentors are Incubator PMC members.  If more
> than three (3) want to engage on a project that interests them, why limit
> it?  Any issues that might arise from having more than three (3) would arise
> in the world outside of the Incubator, too.

I think it comes from Jim's head ;-) possibly via an observation that
some podlings have a lot of signed up Mentors but few who takes charge
and get the things moving, especially the first couple of months. I
disagree that it is related to 'how many' (more=worse) and is really
an issue of "quality by quantity", in that "quantity" increases the
chances that there are some "quality" in the group. Sometimes I feel
it was easier in the days of a single Mentor, since the
blame^h^h^h^h^h responsibility is obvious, but being the single Mentor
is 'too much work' for me to go back to such arrangement.

Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer - New Energy for Java

I  live here;
I  work here;
I relax here;

To unsubscribe, e-mail: