incubator-general mailing list archives

From Martijn Dashorst <martijn.dasho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mentors role after Graduation?
Date Fri, 03 Jul 2009 07:48:36 GMT
On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 10:39 AM, Upayavira<uv@odoko.co.uk> wrote:
> I think it is important to have some representation of the ASF
> membership on a PMC. Perhaps the gauge is to stay on, as a member of the
> PMC, until the PMC starts to breed its own ASF members.

It also helps if a podling's PMC consists only of 3 or 4 'merited'
contributors, to make the voting easier. While we frown upon PMC's
with 3 members, I think 4 is rather common. Having Mentors step in to
help voting (real life also happens when you have graduated) is a good
thing.

While Niclas is right that a Mentor typically hasn't got code merit,
it is the interests of the Foundation that should be guarded—the
podling has to be able to function after graduation, and I also think
that having a Mentor as a PMC member provides that extra weight.

Martijn

> It has certainly worked for me in the two graduated podlings I've worked
> with - which come to think of it means I could resign both of them
> now :-)
>
> Upayavira

Apache Wicket 1.3.5 is released