incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Google Wave - anyone?
Date Thu, 30 Jul 2009 15:20:20 GMT
Christian Grobmeier wrote:
>> Yes, Wookie is a server-side Widget repository and runtime/state management
>> application that implements the Google Wave Gadget APIs; it has an API for
>> connecting to applications that manage participants and contexts, which can
>> include waves but also traditional CMS and intranet groups etc. So it could
>> plug into a Wave Server (c) to handle the gadget management task.
>>

> How complicated would it be to extend Vysper to a Wave Server? I am
> not deep into Jabber but I think Googles Wave might be one of the next
> (big) cool things. I am willing to learn and help if other people are
> interested.

If you look at Wave's white papers and draft protocol specifications [1]
there's a lot more in a Wave server than XMPP.

A Wave server is firstly a document repository that handles concurrent
editing by storing/applying/merging transformation operations on these
documents. XMPP is there to allow federation, i.e. allowing people from
different wave domains to collaborate on the same documents. In this
regard, XMPP in Wave is essentially a transport protocol for
transformation operations.

> Is it possible to build some kind of wave client build on top of wookie?

No. Wookie addresses a particular aspect of a Wave server, which is some
additional APIs for collaborative OpenSocial gadgets [2]

> Btw, it feels that wookie is quite similar to Apache Shindig - is it?

Wookie complements Shinding with an implementation of the Wave gadget API.

Hope this makes things clearer.

Sylvain

[1] http://www.waveprotocol.org/
[2] http://code.google.com/apis/wave/extensions/gadgets/guide.html