incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <>
Subject Re: Proposal for Wookie a W3C Widget/Google Wave widget engine
Date Sun, 05 Jul 2009 21:38:01 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> I would like to submit the Wookie project proposal to the Incubator
> PMC. Our draft is appended to the end of this mail and is available
> at:
> A quick overview of Wookie is:
> Wookie is a Java server application that allows you to upload and
> deploy widgets for your applications. Wookie is based on the W3C
> Widgets specification, but widgets can also be included that use
> extended APIs such as Google Wave Gadgets and OpenSocial.
> I have agreed to champion and mentor this proposal, Gavin McDonald has
> also agreed to mentor, more mentors are being sought - let me know if
> you are interested.
> At this stage I am seeking feedback on or questions about the Wookie
> proposal.  The project team are subscribed to this list and ready to
> respond to any queries.

The W3C widget spec is more targetted at standalone installation of
widgets (like the Mac's Dashboard, Yahoo widgets, Vista widgets, etc)
and Wookie as I understand it aims a providing a server-side
implementation of this specification. This is an interesting point of
view that can allow a wider audience to use this specification that is
currently mostly of interest to mobile phone vendors. Now I'm curious to
know if a server-side implementation will not hit some technical
difficulities related to the implementation of a client-side
specification (I saw that already with XForms).

What's interesting also, is that W3C widgets and OpenSocial gadgets are
more or less competing specifications, and it seems from this proposal
and what I saw in the code that Wookie would like to bridge the gap by
providing OpenSocial features to W3C widgets. Is my understanding right?

This looks like an interesting proposal, and I'm willing to help it
through incubation if it is accepted by mentoring it.

We must also consider the potential overlap with Shinding and Social
Site and see what kind of collaboration (if any) with these projects
would make sense.

As a side note, I'd love to run W3C widgets on my Android phone and my
iPod Touch. Would client-side implementations of the W3C spec fit in the
Wookie project?

Sylvain Wallez -

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: