incubator-general mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Suspending Projects
Date Tue, 28 Jul 2009 01:55:18 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> This thread really needs to be put to a conclusion as policy and procedure.  On the table
we have:

> Suspension would include:
>
>   -- disable the mailing lists (no need to moderate)
>   -- disable commit access (no need to review changes)
>   -- change the index of projects

Some steps are listed at:
http://incubator.apache.org/clutch.html#h-Dormant
"Dormant or Retired
 - Remove from the ReportingSchedule.
 - In the Projects in incubation table, move it to the "Dormant" or "Retired" section.
 - Remove entry from right-side panel. (doc)
"
(Note that there are a number of links to direct docs in there.)

> The idea being to both flag it as dormant, and to remove the oversight requirements that
we have, by disabling anything requiring oversight.

> There seems to be some disagreement over the word "suspend", which is being used in reference
to an existing dormant state, not sending someone to the Headmaster's office to be removed
from school.

Going dormant, or retiring.

"Suspend" is not used on our main table of incubating projects:
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/
just "Dormant" or "Retired".

-David

> There also seems to be a disagreement over the idea that inactive projects don't require
oversight, but I feel that if we don't close the mailing lists, they will not be properly
moderated (moderators still have to wade through spam looking for any faint signal), and people
would wonder why they send messages that get lost.  And we don't want to miss commit messages.
 It is best to structureally disable the resources than to trust in lack of use.